Monday, September 22, 2008

Dearest Michael . . .

Today's the day you would have been born. The doctor scheduled your C-section for today, except that it didn't happen as we had all planned.

I miss you terribly. I wish we could have met today, and I could have held you in my arms and looked into your eyes as I did with your older brother and sister. Right after your brother and sister were born, after they calmed down a bit (because they cried when they were first born), there was a period of alertness, where they looked all around. We just stared into each other's eyes; I wanted that moment with you. I cried for you in the shower this morning, and I made sure to get your sister up early enough and ready for school so that we could make the 6:30 mass. I said prayers for you there, and I begged God to continue to hold you in his arms and to give me strength to make it through the day. I love that part in the mass, right before communion, where the priest is praying and he says, "Protect us from all anxiety and grant us peace in our day . . . " because that's what I want more than anything. I'm waiting for the grief to get less raw; it's slow going.

It comforts me greatly to know that you are there with Meema, and that she is there to take care of you for me until we meet again. I know she wasn't the Meema that liked to babysit, but I'm sure hangin' together in heaven is a lot different than babysitting down on Earth. 

I wonder what your personality would have been like, and how similar you would look to your brother and sister. Would you have been easy going, like your brother? Or, would you have been more spirited and sometimes stubborn, like your sister? Would you have been spoiled, being the baby of the family? Probably! You would have been Meema's 18th grandchild . . . well, you still were. You just got to meet her up there with God rather than down here with us. She's a lot of fun -- ask her to sing for you!

Dearest Michael, you are never far from me. My mind thinks about you constantly. When I put my earrings on in the morning, I do it in tribute to you. I make myself look as becoming as possible in tribute to you. I have more compassion for my fellow citizen now than I have ever had in my life, thanks to you. You have made me such a better person in a myriad of ways: a better mother, a better spouse, a more patient and understanding teacher; more genuine and honest with my friends, sibling, and parents. I am more apt to give the common person I encounter on the street the benefit of the doubt--what pain do they carry? What burden do they seek to hide from the world? Because, as I have found, everyone has something that grieves them. My grief is the loss of you. I'm a little bit lost right now. I'm not the same person, nor will I ever be again.

I heard said that the greatest loss an adult could face was the loss of a child. I used to think, "I can't imagine that." I would try to, try to wrap my head around that concept, and I would shudder at the thought, but I didn't really know how right they were until it happened to me. I think the brain subconsciously blocks the pain of the loss from one's mind, because the emotions are so damning and overwhelming that I would truly be engulfed in sadness and go mad should I have to experience the them in their full realization. 

I toasted you tonight. Daddy and I went out to dinner with Papa, since tonight is the night we would have had our usual Monday night dinner at Meema and Papa's. Uncle M is still staying with Papa, so we took him with us. As they were taking our drink orders, I asked for a diet Coke and two shots of tequila. Not a double, two separate shots. Papa laughed and wondered what got into me, but I knew what I had planned. When the drinks arrived, I toasted Meema, and then I toasted you. After downing both, I felt much better. But I was there to celebrate you and what you brought to all of our lives in the short time you were with us. I ordered dessert, and we all shared it. For once, we ate the entire Jumper's Mud Pie at Claim Jumper. We never do that. I know you were there with us. I know you were.

Michael, I love you. I miss you. I ache and grieve for you. I almost cannot find the words to express my loss adequately, as forcefully as I want to. Rest assured that you are with me always. Always. 

Love, Mommy


3 comments:

Wabi said...

I'm so sorry, honey. Thinking of you and your sweet little boy.

AnnaBelle said...

Your letter to Michael is so beautiful.

How are you doing? Hanging in there?

Dulcemija said...

Hanging in there . . . Thursday was kinda bad. Others are . . . well, they just are.