Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lazy Today

It is Saturday at 12:25 and I am still in my pajamas and still in bed. I feel so guilty, but I have nothing I have to do. I could clean my kids' bathroom, or I could move some of the laundry that's on the couch up to its proper place. I could go run errands, but there's time enough for that tomorrow or Monday. So I'm indulging in watching some of my favorite crime shows: "Snapped" and "FBI Files" and "The Investigators," which I shuffle through randomly trying to watch all three at once. The reason for my laziness has to do with the fact that I woke up early this morning and couldn't fall back asleep. I got up and moved into the room in our house we call the playroom, because it has all of the kids' toys, to watch TV and (hopefully) fall back to sleep. No dice. I ended up watching all of Freedom Writers, one of those inspirational teacher movies that reminds me I will never be one of those teachers, much as I'd like to be. M got up and watched the ending of the movie with me, and we lay there together on the couch, her little body snuggled into mine, until it was time to put cartoons on and get chocolate milk. After chocolate milk we lay down again and snuggled and she watched cartoons. I dozed and she would periodically wake me up asking to change channels, but I am left with this lethargic dozed feeling that a good nap would shake. Instead I lay in bed and channel surf.

In about an hour, Dear Husband and I will take our Dear Children to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Both are excited to be going. Normally, they visit each Sunday, but tonight they are spending the night. This means they get spoiled: all the TV watching, video-game-playing, popcorn-and-ice-cream-eating they want. They'll probably go out to dinner, and maybe make a trip to either the toy store or the book store. My dear husband and I get to be two adults who go out to dinner and don't have to worry about if the restaurant also has a kids' menu. We don't have to play tic-tac-toe with crayons on a paper place mat. No, the restaurant we're going to has white table cloths! Afterward, we're going to see a movie and we get to go home and go to sleep -- well, some adult fun first (TMI!) -- without having to remind DS to change into clean underwear and cajole DD to brush her teeth well, not just suck on the toothbrush bristles. Yes, it will be a nice evening, our first alone as two adults since our heartbreaking choice in May. And tomorrow we might make it to church, or we might not, before heading back to my parents' house to pick up the kiddos.

As far as doing this whole Baby Dance again? Well, we are slowly and cautiously moving forward again. I'm still on The Pill, but I've started taking prenatals and an extra dose of folic acid. I have a call in to my OB/GYN to see if he wants to see me for an appointment first, or if we can just go ahead and start trying. And have we waited long enough, or should we wait longer? In case he says he wants to see me for an appointment, I've already made it for about a month from now. I'm exercising and watching what I'm eating, checking my blood sugar levels because I want to try to avoid the gestational diabetes that developed with Michael's pregnancy. W is getting ahead of himself (I think) talking about getting a bigger car for when the baby is here . . . I dunno . . . I think (the pessimistic one, I am) that we should wait until we have the baby at home before we go out to get a bigger one. Just cautious, I guess.


1 comment:

AnnaBelle said...

I hope you and your husband had a wonderful date night together!

Like you, I'd feel a little weird about getting a new car already, however if my husband proposed the idea it would be because he found a big car that he likes and an expanding family would provide a good argument to his automobile buying case! I think it is very sweet that your husband is excited for a new baby.

Oh, in reference to your comment about how you are not going to be as spectacular a teacher as the ones in dramatic movies, I feel the same way about epidemiologists. I like to read about awesome epidemiologists but I know I'm never going to make a famous discovery. I like to think that I'm too busy doing other very important things in life to really kick ass at work!